Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Piper PA-28R-200 Arrow II Standard Operating Procedures

When I'm bored and I have nothing to do, I develop stuff like this:


It's the SOPs I made for the Arrow II. The objective was to take the normal and emergency procedures from the information manual and develop flow-pattern procedures, and a "challenge-response" checklist.

I'm sure my flight instructor will say to me "You really like overcomplicating things, don't you?" :)
But whatever my instructor tells me, I'll try using my flows to be more efficient in flight and avoid reading step by step what I have to do from a "read-do-response" checklist. Another thing I thought about using "read-do" checklists is that I don't memorize them, since it's read and do!

The departure briefing, takeoff briefing, cruise briefing, and arrival briefing included in the SOPs are intended to be performed with the briefings checklist I made a year ago:


It's also more time consuming to use the "read-do-response" method. I'll try doing a video comparing both methods when flying the Arrow II. Other important things are the abnormal and emergency procedures.
If your engine fails at 400ft AGL or your engine is on fire, will you read a checklist? Of course not. So, the majority of the abnormal and emergency procedures in my SOP must be done from memory. The abnormal and emergency procedures that do come with a "challenge-response" checklist are the ones where you have more time troubleshooting the problem and, in case of an engine failure above 1000ft AGL and an emergency landing commited from above 1000ft AGL, where it's critical to make sure you have performed those items.

There will be a lot of memorization and practice, of course, but I think the result will be pretty good. I'm sure I won't need 10 minutes from startup to take-off, like I always have needed, when using my flows and procedures.

Comments and feedback are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment