Monday, May 16, 2011

Long time, no writing

A new post since December 2009. One and a half years to be precise. So, what has happened since my last post? Not much.

First of all, I didn't pass the Studienkolleg. Sad, but true. Anyway, as Steve Jobs said: "Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith." It's a line from his speech given at Stanford University in 2005. I watched the speech some time ago and I liked it. You can watch the speech here.

"Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle".


That said, I had to make up another plan for my career. I flew back to Mexico the 22. December 2010 for Christmas, etc. and to go through the inefficient and unnecesary process of my private pilots license revalidation. In Mexico, you must go through this process every 2 years. So, I checked the regulations for the requirements and made an appointment for my Class 2 medical examination. What do I learn after having the examination? The Class 2 medical certificate in Mexico is now 1 year valid. And the Class 1 certificate? 1 year as well. Is there any logic in that? No, they need more money. More examinations, more money for the medical and transport authorities.
After three awesome flights with a Cessna 172N (practicing emergency procedures and high performance maneuvers) I finally got everything for my revalidation.

I got the new license the 16. February 2011. Great! Two more years with a valid private pilot license.
I flew to Mexico City in March to meet some friends. Actually, I met new pilots and amazing people who also are passionate about flying and aviation. On both flights I had the opportunity of seating in the flight deck's jumpseat. Those were my first jumpseat flights in an Airbus. Awesome airplane. No doubt I'll fly an Airbus in an airline some time...
On April, I flew to Toluca for the Aeroexpo 2011. It was pretty good! There were many stands and airplanes in display like a Cirrus SR-22, the new Beechcraft King Air 250, a B350i, an Embraer Legacy, etc. I spent most of the time in the EnElAire stand because my pals were there. They host an internet radio aviation program every tuesday and thursday at 7:00pm CST. You can listen it here (It's in spanish).

So, what's my new plan? I decided the best thing I could do is start my Commercial Pilot License training, followed by the convalidation process in Mexico (More to that in a future post). There are great opportunities now in Mexico for pilots and the airlines are hiring. I returned in April to Hamburg to finish the glider pilot license course. I've only flown three days, but there will be more glider-flying in the coming days!


There is lot's to write about, but I wanted to write my current situation in this post. Anyway, it's a pilot's story ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment